Saturday 31 December 2011

Best of the Bunch- December 2011

Best Of The Bunch is a monthly award ceremony hosted at the end of the month by Lyrical over at Lyrical Reviews where we can look back over the books read the past month and award a Best Of The Bunch award to our favourite book of the month.


December
This month I have reviewed on the blog:
  • Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott (5 stars) My review
  • Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan (4 stars) My review
  • Envy by Gregg Olsen (4 stars) My review
  • Life Eternal by Yvonne Woon (4 stars) My review
  • Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (3.5 stars) My review
  • Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck (5 stars) My review
  • Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (5 stars) My review
  • Slide by Jill Hathaway (5 stars) My review
I read some absolutely fantastic books this month. I'm usually really mean with my stars and save the 5 star rating for books which are exceptional. This month most of the books I reviewed were either 4 or 5 stars, so it was difficult to pick a book as this month's Best of the Bunch.
However, I have made my choice, and am awarding my Best of the Bunch award for December to...

...drumroll...


Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott!

This was my favourite book of the month for it's magic, it's mystical setting, and it's incredible characters. The heroine Suzume is a strong character full of determination and drive, but is also quirky, sweet and lovable. I also loved Otieno, and the bond between them. This was a wonderful story, which gripped me and drew me in. It is set in beautiful historical Asia and was so vivid to me that I could really picture it. I also loved the idea of shadow weavers- people who can alter their appearance at will, or even disappear completely- it is woven so well into a story about betrayal and revenge. A very beautiful and powerful book with real heart. Read my full review of it here.
Zoe Marriott is one of my favourite authors- I can also wholly recommend The Swan Kingdom and Daughter of the Flames. Amazing books!

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Trained in the magical art of shadow-weaving, sixteen-year-old Suzume is able to recreate herself in any form - a fabulous gift for a girl desperate to escape her past. But who is she really? Is she a girl of noble birth living under the tyranny of her mother's new husband, Lord Terayama, or a lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama's kitchens, or Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands? Whatever her true identity, Suzume is destined to capture the heart of a prince - and determined to use his power to destroy Terayama. And nothing will stop her, not even love.





I also want to give an honourable mention to Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck (I love this series so much!), and another one of my favourite authors Maria V. Snyder for Touch of Power.

I would love to know which book gets your Best of the Bunch prize, so head on over to Lyrical Reviews and add your post to the linky.
Leave me a comment below and thanks for reading!
x

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I really loved Shadows on the Moon! I recently got Daughter of the Flames to read in the new year so I hope it is just as good. Great choice! Plus I also really want to read Colleen Houck's books - I love tigers!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva