Wednesday 28 September 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays read-along Discussion #5 and wrap up

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along Event


Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

Discussion 5- Chapters 24-28

This weeks questions hosted by Nic at Irresistible Reads


1. After Gabi is injured, the doctor gives her a tonic. Gabi questions the doctor several times what is in it but he refuses to tell. Would you have taken the tonic in Gabi's situation?

No way! Didn't doctors used to put all kinds of weird things in their potions? That song about the witches- eye of newt etc. is for a reason! Doctors didn't know anything about the human body and what made it tick.
I know even as late as the 1920s doctors were giving out all kinds of strange things in their medicine. I just saw an article about wealthy socialite Eben Byers, who was given bottles of mercury to drink to improve his health- and then he died of radiation poisoning- with the newspaper headline "The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off". And that was less than a hundred years ago!

2. Before the games Gabi asks Lia to let Lord Foraboschi win in the archery event as people especially Lord Foraboschi are becoming suspicious of them. But during the games Lord Foraboschi upsets Lia trying to throw her off her game. So Lia decides to win. Do you think she did the right thing by not letting Lord Foraboschi bully her or do you think she took an unnecessary risk?

That's a toughie. On the one hand they are in such a precarious situation already, and really don't need any more enemies. But I also respect Lia for showing off what she can really do and putting those arrogant men in their place! She had to do it!

3. When Gabi is dying and she and Lia decide to return to the tombs so they can get the cure at home but they have to tell Marcello the truth. Even though Marcello thinks that it is madness that they are from the future he believes in Gabi because he loves her. Do you think this is believable? What would you have done if you were Marcello?

I think it would be hard to believe it without seeing it. What makes it slightly easier to believe though is that it explains a lot of their weird behaviour- like their odd clothes, the holes in their story, their unconventional attitudes and educations. She also has no reason to lie about it, and in risking her life to help Marcello and becoming wounded in the process she has proven to him that he can trust her.

4. In the end Gabi and Lia return home. Do you think Gabi will return to Marcello? Would you go back?

I think that she will return to Marcello. The pull is too strong to ignore.
As for me- I want the best of both worlds. I'd want to stay in medieval Italy (with Marcello) for most of the year but be able to take regular trips back to the modern day to stock up on supplies, take a hot shower or bubble bath, eat some chocolate, spend time with my family, catch up on my television shows- and then go back again. And I want modern doctors and medicines if I'm ill!

5. Looking back at Waterfall what was your favourite moment?

Can I pick 2? I love the bit where Luca is teaching Gabi to dance, then asks her to close her eyes, and Marcello takes over. I think it is the first time where he has really shown that he cares more for her than for his fiancee (and he doesn't guiltily pull away.) Everything from the way he holds her to the way he looks at her reveals his true feelings. And it is so unexpected and romantic.
I also love any scenes with Luca and Lia together. Luca is such a joker and so funny and sweet, and a perfect partner to Marcello's seriousness. Luca is so completely smitten with Lia but she is so determined not to fall for him back, because she wants to go home. I love this couple and any pages where the two of them are together sparkle for me.


This is the last Waterfall Wednesday, but it has been so much fun joining in and reading everyone else's answers each week. This feature has encouraged me to read a book that I probably would have put off reading for a while (due to time constraints) by cutting it into a few chapters a week, making it feel much more managable, and I've really enjoyed discussing a different part of the book each week. I've also found a few more blogs and bloggers to talk books with! Thanks!
Luckily (and perfect timing), I won a contest over at The Story Siren and won a set of the complete series, so I'm really happy that I can now keep going with this fantastic series (and I've started book 2 already!) 

Mini review

This has been such a fantastic new novel for me, and a brilliant start to the series. We have a spunky kick-ass modern heroine who is smart and feisty, travelling back in time into medieval Italy, and some very nice knights looking after her. Gabi finds herself in the middle of sword fights and political intrigues. This book is so romantic, and a fun read, but also action-packed, and dangerous.
History+ adventure+ spunky girl lead+ heartbreakingly good love story= win!

6 comments:

  1. I like your answer to #4, wanting the best of both worlds! I want the man and the chocolate! ha! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with number 1. I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks right now and they are talking about how they used to insert vials of radium into people because it killed the cancer or their other symptoms...little did they know it killed everything else too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your fave moments. Also love your points about their potions. She would know better.

    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com
    http://t.co/0T11pBCK

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...his jaw came off" OMG! LOL Love the dance scene too!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart girl, avoiding the medicines. Wait until you read about what I learned in my research in how they treated the plague...ugh. No wonder so many of them died!

    And you're our Story Siren winner! Fun! That contest had a ton of entries. Glad the prize went to a true blue River Tribe girl. Happy reading--and thanks for taking part in WW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your answers and agree with all of them!! I totally loved when Marcello and Luca switched places. He had me then.

    I'm looking forward to the other two books. And I'm with you, this was a lot of fun and it was fun reading everyone's answers, seeing the different views and the same views. I've read a lot of people liking Luca/Marcello and the dance seen tonight!

    Had fun!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva